Thursday 26 May 2016

42nd Street , a great night out in Southport

Last night saw me at the Little Theatre in Southport to see a production of 42nd Street by the BOS Musical Theatre Company (formerly Birkdale Orpheus Soc) .

I have to say that the music, the dance, the production in fact everything about the evening was brilliant. It was a high energy production and you left the theatre exhausted having watched the cast expertly tap their way through all the well known numbers; Lullaby of Broadway, 42nd Street and many more besides.

It is not my intention to write a review-there will be one on the NODA website shortly-but having sat through many amateur performances (and taken part in a few myself many years ago) I would say that this is one of the very best I have seen.

I was delighted to meet the cast afterwards and their enthusiasm and commitment was amazing. They have been in rehearsal for about six months and that explains the very high standard they achieved.

Charles Moss was the Musical Director and both the chorus and the principals did him proud. Unlike many amateur singing groups there was a good contingent of men. The musicians in the pit, though unseen, were up to the same high standard as the rest of the production.

The choreographer, Mary Forbes, is clearly a formidable member of the team and from the very first scene right up until the end the dance routines were breathtaking. Talking to other members of the audience the dancing was the one thing they all remarked on. The whole production was expertly brought together by Director Liz Clarke.

The show is on till Saturday when there are two performances. If you like musical theatre and are in Southport I wholeheartedly recommend 42nd Street. You will not be disappointed. I am delighted they invited me - I hope the other productions I have been invited to as Mayor are as enjoyable.



DIRECTORLizClarke

MUSICALDIRECTORCharlesMoss

CHOREOGRAPHERMary

No comments:

Post a Comment