Saturday 18 June 2016

Care Home open day-some great examples of quality care



National Care Home Day saw me out and about in Southport. Our town is well known as a place for retired people and the care sector plays a significant role in our local economy. It was very good to see homes opening their doors and inviting the public in. Too often people in care homes are hidden away and not recognised as part of the community. This excellent initiative allows are care homes to show case their work and demonstrate how they can be at the centre of local communities, developing relationships across the generations.


I started at Connell Court in Birkdale. This home was celebrating is 40th Anniversary and I was pleased to be asked to cut the cake. I am getting quite good at cutting cakes and it  is certainly a skill that should added to the 'person spec' for Mayors . I first visited this home back in 1982 and my memory of it was as a friendly, active and homely place.

The charity that runs the home MHA was set up by members of the Methodist Church in 1943. This home has a close linlk with the Birkdale 'Redbrick Chapel' and it was good to see so many of them actively volunteering at Connell Court. It certainly made it feel part of the wider community.

One of the tasks they asked me to do was hand out certificates of appreciation -and a box of chocolates -to their volunteers
Some of the volunteers at Connell Court
This being Birkdale it was inevitable that I should meet people I know. First up Eric Greaves who runs the Rambler's group. I often go on their trips and tomorrow they are off to Kirkby Lonsdale. I shall not be going with them this time as I have a full diary for tomorrow, but more of that later on. Eric runs a banking service for the residents which is clearly very much appreciated.

The picture on the left is of Margery a resident who will be 100 years later this year. I haven't met Margery before but I do know her daughter. It was a delight to speak with Margery who clearly is fully involved with the life of the home.

Next up I met Mr Dean, who used to live in Trafalgar Rd and whose son Andy is a friend.

I was very impressed with Connell Court. The staff and the volunteers are doing a great job. Every effort is being made to enhance the independence of the residents and to offer a full and interesting life. I am pleased I they invited me. I was shown round by BeBe

I was later asked to draw the raffle -another essential skill for a Mayor-and BeBe was first out of the hat. The picture on the left is of the Care Home Manager just checking the numbers before handing over the prize.












The next stop was at Parklands Lodge also in Southport. This is a new home that has only opened in the last few weeks and is still settling in its first residents. I was met by Gay Clarke the Head of Service for Athena Healthcare the Group that owns the home and the bow tie wear manager Benn Mott.




This private nursing home is arranged over four levels , it provides a safe and responsive community with good levels of staffing.They cater for individuals and couples. Parklands Lodge provides both long and short term care as well as rehabilitation facilities and respite care for people making the transition from hospital to home following medical treatment. As the home is 'dual registered' it can accept people with a whole range of requirement up to extra nursing care for those with conditions like dementia. The lay out is like a hotel with a reception desk and comfortable and spacious lounges and tea rooms. It was here that I met Doug one of the first residents

No comments:

Post a Comment