Tuesday 21 June 2016

Sefton 5k run-sounding the hooter

 I was invited to start the 5k run held at Crosby Waterside and organised by Active Sefton. The run attracted over 300 entrants. The young women on the platform with me had just led a high temp warm up which, to the uninitiated , looked like enough exercise for the average evening.

I was impressed by the high level of participation and the wide spectrum of people from across the community that the event attracted. Some were serious distance runners, others have joined in the new trend for Park Runs whilst other had come for a pleasant brisk walk.   I spied a good few council employees along with some teachers- including former Deputy Head of Farnborough Rd Junior School (FRJS) Dan Haines.   Sadly I could not stay to watch the runners come home as I was due at a Governor's meeting at FRJS in Birkdale at 7.00pm. Last year I am told the first runner was home in 16 mins. The route was twice around the lake and I saw the first participants complete the first lap in 7mins.44sec

The group of men on the left were not joining in but I was reliably informed that one of their number Cllr John Fairclough has enrolled at a gym. I would be happy to sponsor him for a charity of his choice he joins next year

No comments:

Post a Comment