Thursday 6 October 2016

my article in the Visiter for this week

In my mind I tend to divide my duties as Mayor into two broad categories; the formal ‘state occasions’ and the community events. This week I undertook two state occasions and a host of community events.


In April 1989 ninety six people went to a football match and did not return. Last week the Freedom of the City of Liverpool was awarded to the 96 alongside Marina and Kenny Dalglish, Professor Phil Scraton and Bishop James Jones. More residents of our borough died at Hilsborough than from any other part of Merseyside. It was appropriate that I should represent Sefton at St George’s Hall for this important ceremony. The emotional climax of the night was the singing of I’ll never walk alone by Waterloo based mezzo soprano Danielle Louise Thomas. I had the opportunity of speaking with some of the local families. It was a difficult occasion for many of those in the Hall but everyone felt that it was proper and fitting that the highest honour that the city can bestow should have been awarded to the 96.


Waterloo and Crosby in Bloom Awards took place on Wednesday. It was really encouraging to see so many people participating.  There were certificates and Trophies in a range of categories including schools, front gardens, window boxes, containers, commercial premises, pubs, open spaces etc.

Crosby U3A (University of the third Age) visited me in Bootle Town Hall. These tours are very interesting especially when you have a well-informed group like U3A. There is a lot to see especially relating to Bootle’s role in the Battle of the Atlantic and Captain Johnny Walker.

Merseyside Business Awards took place on Thursday evening and I will write more about that next week along with other events including a MacMillan Coffee Morning and a trip to the Opera. Information and lots more photographs can be found on the Mayoral http://themayoralblog.blogspot.co.uk


There was a full congregation for my Civic Service which was held at Holy Trinity Southport. The church certainly has a 'wow' factor especially when, as on Sunday, the impressive architecture is combined with excellent music, a well ordered service and a thought provoking sermon. The Vicar, Rod Garner, is writing about his sermon elsewhere in the Visiter. The service has been described to me as 'beautiful, uplifting and inspiring'. My sincere thanks to everyone at Trinity It was a memorable occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment